Monday, November 23, 2009

Thanks-Living


4 Kids
Look for ways to live for God by serving others today. In children's church we talked about moving from a "Me" attitude to a "We" attitude. When you can learn to look beyond yourself and serve others you will be more content with who and where you are. The next time you see a Wii game system think, "It's not about me, it's about we."

4 Others
It's Monday and the leaves are clustered in gloopy piles around the yards. Still others remain clinging to their last hope as winter arrives with it's chilly fingers plucking them one by one from almost barren branches. I miss the crunchy time of just a couple of weeks ago when stepping on leaves made that distinctive crackle and crunch that calls out for us to stomp like little kids. Now the crunch is gone and leaves stick with soppy wetness to my shoes.

It's Thanksgiving week and I can't help but think that God looks for daily thanks. With Him, thanksgiving is not to be an annual event but rather a daily discipline. We are to be "thanks-livers." Darlene and I will make all of the traditional foods. This year we are adding Puerto Rican fare as well. Six to eight students are coming over along with our sons and their families. Holidays like this tug at my heart as I want to see all of my kids and grandkids. God knows when we will be with each other again. He is trustworthy and will fill any void left by those who are far away.

It has been a year since dad died. I received word right at Thanksgiving. We flew to Omaha for his funeral. I miss him. I miss his calls checking on my arrival after each ministry trip. I miss the gleam in his eye that I only see now in my grandchildren. It is a gleam of wonder at the world and a gleam of mischievousness that warns of impending creativity. I miss praying with dad and reading scripture with him. That's all for now. The good news is that grandpa Bob is sitting in the grandstands of heaven as part of that great cloud of witnesses that have gone before us. He cheers us on this Thanksgiving as we continue our faith walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment